Now working on his seventh America’s Cup campaign, Ian ‘Fresh’ Burns got his feet wet working for the Australian defender Kookaburra during the 1987 Cup in Fremantle, Western Australia.
Burns joined ORACLE TEAM USA when it was formed in the summer of 2001 as BMW ORACLE, and is one of nine original members still with the team. Burns’ sailed with the crew as a navigator during the 2002-03 Challenger Selection Series, which saw BMW ORACLE Racing advance to the final.
Burns eventually moved over to the design team and now has risen to Design Team Coordinator. He holds a Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- ORACLE RACING Design Team Coordinator
- BMW ORACLE Racing, navigator
- Louis Vuitton Cup, Abracadabra, navigator
- Maxi World Champion, Sayonara
- Louis Vuitton Cup, OneAustralia (navigator), runner-up
- Louis Vuitton Cup, Spirit of Australia
- 12-Meter World Champion
- America’s Cup, Kookaburra, runner-up